Grilled Flour Tortillas Recipe
Homemade flour tortillas – a staple of many Mexican favorites – are easy to make and completely delicious. This recipe requires only a few simple ingredients and little active time to make grilled flour tortillas from scratch. Plan to allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes after mixing, although you can also make the dough the night before and allow to rest in the fridge overnight. Either way, you can grill flour tortillas in a snap to use as the base for tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas and more.
Recipe Difficulty: Beginner
Servings: 8 Tortillas
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Grill Time: 2 minutes per tortilla
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup lard, butter, shortening or vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- If using lard, butter or shortening, use your fingers or a pastry blender to work the fat into the flour until it disappears. If using vegetable oil, simply mix in during the next step.
- Pour in hot water, combining with a fork or whisk, until you’re left with a shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, until dough forms a ball. If it feels too sticky, just add in a little more flour.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces, and then roll each into a ball and flatten slightly. Place disks on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each disc of dough into a circle about 8” across.
- Grill each tortilla for 45-60 seconds per side, stacking and lightly covering until ready to use for tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, etc.
Try our recipe for Grilled Shrimp Tacos and use your homemade flour tortillas!