Grilled Spaghetti and Meatballs
Give this classic dinner staple a twist by firing up your grill and adding a little smoky goodness to both spaghetti and meatballs.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. basil, chopped fine
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. spaghetti
- 1 cup tomato (pasta) sauce
- Pecorino cheese (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, onions, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and herbs, plus salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 cup water and knead the mixture well.
- Form the meatballs by rolling into balls in your hands, to about 1 ½ inches each.
- In a saucepan, add the meatballs and ½ cup water, cover and steam over medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Over a medium-heat grill, place the meatballs into a cast-iron pan and grill until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes total.
- In a pot, bring to boil water and kosher salt. Then add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and save ¼ cup of the water for later.
- Place the spaghetti on a baking sheet and add the olive oil. Then transfer to a grill basket and cook over the grill until the pasta turns to a golden color.
- Toss the golden pasta with the tomato sauce and pasta water from earlier. Add additional olive oil and Pecorino cheese, if desired. Then add in the grilled meatballs and serve.