Celebrate Hanukkah with crispy grilled latkes, a delicious twist on the traditional. Top these perfect potato pancakes with your favorite sauces and impress all of your holiday guests with this grilled goodness.
Makes: 12 servings
- 3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ onion, finely minced
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Begin by placing grated potatoes into a colander lined with cheese cloth. Squeeze excess liquid from potatoes and let liquid rest. After about 5 minutes remove the excess liquid from the bowl, reserving the potato starch that has settled on the bottom.
- Lightly beat eggs with potato starch, and add in salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes and onion to a bowl and mix with the flour. Add in the egg mixture and combine.
- Turn grill onto high heat.
- Place cast iron pan on grill and add oil. Once oil heats up, add a scoop of latke mixture to the pan and flatten with a spatula.
- Close grill lid and let cook for about 3 minutes, then flip. Remove latke from pan once crispy brown and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings like applesauce and sour cream. Enjoy!