Grilled Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches
Whether it’s chocolate, vanilla or even strawberry, everyone will scream this National Ice Cream Day for the smoky flavor of grilled buttermilk banana bread wrapped around your favorite sweet ice cream.
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 bananas, overripe
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
- ¾ qt. ice cream
- To make the banana bread, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt, and then set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes. Then slowly mix in the melted butter, then the oil until blended.
- In another bowl, mash the soft bananas, and then add buttermilk and vanilla extract, whisking well. Stir the banana mixture into the egg mixture, and then once combined, gently fold in the dry mixture. If desired, add in the toasted walnuts.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan and cook for 1 hour. Let cool then remove from pan. (Hint: for a faster process, you can purchase your favorite store-made banana bread.)
- To make the ice cream sandwiches, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut off the crusts of the banana bread and slice into thin pieces. Place slices on grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until dark grill marks form.
- Once bread has cooled, scoop your favorite thawed ice cream over 1 slice and spread evenly. Place the top slice on the sandwich and press firmly. Remove excess ice cream on edges and wipe tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer for 1 hour or until banana bread is frozen. Remove from plastic wrap once frozen and let thaw before serving. Enjoy!