Deep Fried Mashed Potato Balls Recipe
Need ideas for what to do with leftover mashed potatoes this year? Deep fried potato balls are your crunchy, golden-brown answer!
Remember when frying to always lower your foods gently into the oil to avoid splashing, fry in batches to ensure the oil stays at the proper temperature and follow all propane-powered fryer safety precautions.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 block cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Mix mashed potatoes, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, chives, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Let chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Remove mixture and wrap ¼ cup of potato mix around each cheese cube. Chill an additional 30 minutes.
- Place flour, breadcrumbs and egg into three separate bowls; beat the egg.
- Roll all potato bombs in flour, dredge in egg and roll again in bread crumbs.
- Fry potato bombs in two batches at 350 for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use a large spider strainer to carefully remove bombs from the hot oil, let drain over a paper towel and serve.