Grilled Grapefruit Paloma
This delicious twist on a traditional Mexican cocktail is tart and refreshing, with a bit of delightful smokiness added by the grilled grapefruit and lime. Enjoy this one all summer, with or without the tequila.
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 2 limes
- 4 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. simple syrup (see instructions)
- 2 oz. club soda
- ¾ cup sugar
- Coarse sea salt, for the glass
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Half the grapefruit and the limes, and then slice one half of one lime into wheels, for garnish. Dip the cut sides of the fruit in sugar and place on the grate, grilling about 5-7 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Juice the grapefruit and lime halves in a pitcher, then add tequila and simple syrup.
- Rub the rim of two glasses with lime, then dip rims in salt. Fill the glasses with ice, and then pour half of the mixture in each glass. Top with club soda and garnish with the remaining grilled lime wheels.
- Note that making your own simple syrup is easy! In a saucepan combine ½ cup sugar and ½ cup water, stirring over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and use as needed per the recipe. Leftover syrup can be covered and refrigerated for later use.