French Onion Soup Recipe
When the weather gets chilly and the leaves begin to turn, there’s nothing more satisfying than snuggling up with a big crock of hearty, cheesy French Onion Soup. Learn how to rasily make your favorite french onion soup at home with this tastey recipe. The flavor of this dish is enhanced by charred onions and grilled French bread, with perfectly melted cheeses. Grab your big spoon and dig in!
- 6 Vidalia onions
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 6 tbsp. dry sherry
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. thyme, chopped
- 1 cup grated provolone cheese
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese
- 6 slices French bread, thickly cut
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Peel the outer layer from onions and slice into rings, keeping them together for grilling.
- Grill onions 4-5 minutes per side, or until tender and grill marks have appeared. Remove from grill and slice rings in half, to form smaller slivers.
- In a grill-safe wok, melt butter, and then sauté onions another 5 minutes.
- Add dry sherry to the wok, cooking another 15 minutes.
- Add beef broth, thyme, salt and pepper, and then simmer over indirect medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Grill French bread slices 2 minutes per side.
- In 6 large oven-safe crocks, divide the soup mixture. Then add one piece of grilled French bread to each, topping with the provolone and Swiss cheeses.
- Place bowls over indirect heat, and then close the grill cover allowing the cheese to melt for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately. Hint: crocks will be hot, so serve and eat carefully!