Looking for an easy-peasy, light and delicious side dish? Try this perfectly charred romaine. It’s a snap to make, even if there’s a cold snap outside.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Rinse and dry lettuce, removing any outer leaves that aren’t crisp. Trim any brown areas off the base, but don’t cut off completely, so that leaves will remain attached. Cut lengthwise into quarters.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, herbs and salt & pepper to form a dressing. Brush the lettuce lightly with the dressing.
- Place directly on the grate and grill about 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill, drizzle on the remaining dressing and dig in!