Toasted bread, charred tomatoes, creamy goat cheese and fresh basil combine in a simple little snack that adds a whole lot of sophistication to your tailgate spread. Go the whole nine yards and try it today.
Makes: 8 servings
- 3 lbs. plum tomatoes, halved and cored
- 8 slices of thick bread
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup goat cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high
- In a bowl, toss tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place tomatoes on the grate cut-side down and grill covered 7-8 minutes per side, or until charred.
- Remove tomatoes from grill to let cool, then chop into chunks and toss with garlic, vinegar and oregano.
- Reduce grill heat to medium.
- Brush bread with olive oil on both sides, then grill about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove bread from grill, top with goat cheese, tomatoes and basil, and then serve!