How to Cook with Propane While Camping
Cooking while camping using a portable propane stove or grill is just as easy as cooking on a propane grill at home! Follow these few important steps by our AmeriGas experts to learn how to cook while camping.
What you will need:
- AmeriGas Propane Exchange tank
- Propane hose adapter
- Propane camp grill
Step 1: Set up the grill and tank in an area that is clear of any flammable debris.
Step 2: Make sure that both the camping grill and the propane valve are turned to the off postion.
Step 3: Hook up the propane hose adapter to the grill and make sure that the connection is secure. Next, secure the connection between the hose adapter and propane tank.
Step 4: Turn the propane tank to the on position by turning the valve counterclockwise, then turn on the grill and push the igniter button.
Step 5: Get cooking!
Choosing the Best Stove for Cooking While Camping
Choosing the best camp stove for cooking while camping may not be as complex as you think. Review our recommended tips below for choosing the best camp stove.
- Always select equipment wisely. Look for a camping stove that is light in weight and compact enough so it does not take up too much space.
- Make sure your camping stove is a propane-burning model. Propane is cheaper, more accessible, and easier to use than other types of fuel.
- Choose a camping stove that is reliable in all weather conditions -- extreme heat, extreme cold and high winds.
- Look for a stove that has multiple burners. This will allow you to cook multiple meal elements at the same time.
- Find a camping stove that has built in storage for pots and pans. This maximizes packing space and keeps all your cooking tools in one place.
- Last, but not least, make sure you don't forget the cooking essentials for your camping trip!
Camping and Cooking Safety Tips
First time cooking with a propane stove on a camping trip? We've got you covered when it comes to safety tips to keep in mind.
Although propane is easy to use, and a safer alternative to many other fuel types, there are a few safety tips to remember when handling and working with propane.
- Always read the camp stove or grill manufacturer's instuctions before cooking, as operating instructions may vary.
- Store and transport the propane tank upright in the vertical postion and ensure the gas valve is turned to the off position (counterclockwise) if not in use.
- Check your camping equipment before your trip. Inspect your propane tank and perform a leak check, prior to arriving at your campsite.
- Always begin your outdoor cooking in a well ventialted area, and away from any debris. Keep clothing, hair and hands away from the open flame.
- At the conclusion of cooking, remember to let the camping stove cool down and detach the propane cylinder from the appliance before repacking.
Review some of our other tips to remember when using an AmeriGas Propane Exchange tank.MORE SAFETY TIPS
Propane Grill Recipes for Camping
Are you tired of the same old burgers and hot dogs on the grill? Explore some of our camping friendly recipes for your next adventure.
The last thing you want to do on your camping trip is stand over the camping stove preparing meals. Our easy foil recipes can be prepared at home and packed into your cooler. Throw these foil recipes directly on the camping stove when youre ready to eat and enjoy the mess free clean up. These recipes have as little as 3 ingredients and can be altered according to your preference.
Another way to skip the hassle of preping meals for your entire crew, is by marinating your meals before your trip. Whether you prefer chicken, steak, or just veggies, let our marinades do the work for you. Simply mix up the marinade at home, pour it over your food of choice and let it sit in your fridge. At the time of your trip, just pack it up. Our marinades provide a simple fix that your family and friends will love.
Almost all of our recipes can be transformed into an easy camping meal that everyone will enjoy. From healthy choices, to easy make ahead tailgating recipes -- the options for your camping trip are seemingly endless.
Explore all of our tasty and unique recipes to decide what you're taking on your next camping trip.